An engineering invention / maker is the design of a new device, machine, tool or process–or the improvement of one that already exists–that performs a practical function including, but not limited to, tools that mend, make life easier or safer in some way, entertain or solve everyday problems. It involves formulating a hypothesis and analyzing data using the engineering design process.
RECOMMENDED FOR GRADES:
Most 5th graders and older
EXAMPLES OF PROJECTS:
- Lego structure
- Sensor robot maze
- Solar powered hot dog cooker
- Crash! Can Cell Phones Survive a Drop Test?
- Fractography: The Way Things Break
- Designing an Automatic Pet Feeder
WILL THE PROJECT BE JUDGED?
IS IT ELIGIBLE FOR AN AWARD?
WHAT’S THE REQUIRED PAPERWORK?
- 2017 ISEF Registration Form or
- 2017 NON ISEF Registration Form if NOT going to the Washington State Science and Engineering Fair
- Possible additional ISEF paperwork
NOTE — These forms are ONLY for the Whatcom County Science and Engineering Fair. The Washington State Science and Engineering Fair and all other fairs will ask for their own set of forms and paperwork.
DOES IT REQUIRE SPECIALIZED SUPERVISION?
Yes. A parent, teacher, a qualified scientist, and/or other professionals.
DOES IT REQUIRE A JOURNAL/LOG BOOK?